Use this form to request use of a digital asset of an item from the University’s collection. To process your request, please fill-out the form below to completion and email (preferred) to Registrar Natalie Shores at email@example.com, or mail using the addresses listed below.
If permission is granted, a letter of permission will be returned. There may be fees for ordering new digitization and publication-quality image files. We accept check, Visa, Discover, or MasterCard. Completed orders will be sent electronically through a file share site.
Please read our digital asset policy before filling out this form.
Digital Asset Use, Rights, and Permissions Policy
The Sheridan Libraries & Museums welcome requests to copy its collection materials. Researchers, authors, and publishers should comply with conditions and procedures outlined below. Generally speaking, the copies we provide to users are allowed for private, educational, and/or non-commercial use. If you have questions about publishing, reproducing, and/or using digital assets for editorial use, commercial use, and other purposes, and for large-scale initiatives, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In all cases, permission will only be granted for non-exclusive on-time use. Additional reproduction will require written permission as well as any appropriate additional fees. Copying or redistributing images from the collections in any form for personal or for-profit gain is prohibited. Limited permission is granted only to the person or organization (“Applicant”) on record and may not be assigned, transferred or sublicensed without JHU’s consent.
- The Johns Hopkins University does not claim reproduction rights to the materials in its collections. Therefore, by virtue of this request, the organization or individual requesting use of materials in University’s collection agrees to assume all responsibility for such use (including the responsibility of determining applicable rights holders and requesting appropriate permissions from such rights holders) and hereby agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless The Johns Hopkins University, its trustees, officers, employees, and agents from any and all liability, loss or damage they may suffer as a result of claims, demands, costs or judgments (including reasonable attorney fees and court costs) against them arising out of the organization’s use of the requested materials.
- Digital assets of materials in the Sheridan Libraries & Museums collections may be protected by copyright law. Materials that are protected by copyright law may be used only with permission from the copyright owner, or within the limits of fair use and other statutory exceptions. The Libraries & Museums cannot give legal advice and make no representation about the copyright or other legal status of the materials. It is the responsibility of the user to investigate such rights and obtain the necessary permissions from the copyright holder.
- Digital assets are displayed “as is” and without warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including any warranties of title, non-infringement of copyright or other rights.
- If a digital asset is not currently available, it may be for one or more of the following reasons:
- Privacy or publicity issues exist
- The item is not fully owned by the Sheridan Libraries
- Contractual restrictions specified by the creator or donor preclude access
- The item/collection has not yet been converted into digital form or the quality of the existing digital copy does not meet the libraries’ current digital copy standards
- Requests are allowed a 2-8 week turnaround time depending on the volume or complexity of the order. If we do not have a readily available high-resolution digital file, or if the object requires conservation before photography, additional time may be required. Fees may apply.
- Regardless of whether the Sheridan Libraries & Museums are the copyright holder, all published digital assets should contain the following credit: Courtesy [Collection Title], Johns Hopkins University.
- Users may not suggest or imply that the Johns Hopkins University endorses, approves, or has participated in any projects utilizing digital assets obtained from the University.
- The Sheridan Libraries & Museums do not charge any fees for personal, non-commercial use of digital assets; there may be fees for ordering new digitization and publication-quality image files. The Libraries & Museums do not authorize any use or reproduction for commercial purposes without written permission.